Professional Mermaid Hannah Fraser

3 Feb

Hannah Fraser aka Hannah Mermaid is a professional mermaid who swims among coral reefs alongside dolphins and whales and sharks and other sea critters and performs as a mermaid all over the world, educating people about ocean conservation (she works with the Surfers For Cetaceans and Whaleman Foundation to end the slaughter and captivity of whales and dolphins), inspiring others to put on tails and go “mermaiding” which seems to be a new and growing phenomenon and generally being gorgeously dreamy and aquatic. You might have seen her on 20/20 last summer:

And here are some photos in case you don’t believe such a lady exists:

Photo by Stuart Macleod

Photo by Jeff Bedrick

Photo by Ted Grambeau

photo by Cipto Aji Gunawan

I sent Hannah some questions over email, and shall meet her in person in Las Vegas this August, where she’ll be a featured performance at the first annual World Mermaid Awards. That is right. Mermaids from all over the world will converge and be mermaidly together…

but more on that in a riveting future post.

Here is my Q&A with Hannah:

When did you realize you were actually a mermaid? =)
I always identified with being a mermaid when I was swimming as a child, and made my first tail at age nine after seeing the film Splash starring Daryl Hannah. I made my first adult tail nearly eight years ago after doing an underwater modeling  job and realizing I looked more at home underwater than on land. Once I began swimming in the tail I felt that it was a natural movement and very familiar, as if I had found a part of myself that I had just forgotten.

Why do you think mermaids are so popular and appealing to humans?
I thinks it’s because all life originated and evolved out of the ocean and even as humans we swim in liquid for the gestation period before birth. We come from water, we are made up of over 70% water, and when we are swimming we feel like we have come ‘home’. It’s also a way to experience what it would be like to fly, the closest we can get to total weightlessness.

The mermaid myth is a perfect combination of earth meets ocean in a combination of two species.

What is it like, swimming in the ocean with your powerful tail? How different do you feel as a mermaid versus as a normal human woman?
It’s amazing how once I put my tail in it’s like I am imbued with a few extra super powers! I can swim faster with more power and maneuverability, I can hold my breath longer because I am more comfortable and at one with my surroundings, and I have less fear of underwater animals because I feel like I am one of them!

Has any art or literature or film inspired you in your mermaid career?
Splash was instrumental for me in inspiring me to create a mermaid tail. It was the first time I saw a mermaid in film and realised I could create a tail for myself. There was a lot of beautiful mermaid art around as a child that fed my quest for beauty and mystery. I never found many good novels about mermaids… I am still searching!

[disclaimer: obviously Hannah has not yet read Mermaid]

Have you ever seen or met a merman?
I haven’t met a merman with a tail yet ;) but I have had the pleasure of swimming with true watermen such as David Rastovich (pro free surfer) and others who are at one with the ocean and connected to its inhabitants in a way that is truly magical :)

What advice do you have for aspiring mermaids?
Go through the process of creating your own tail. [Hannah offers tail-making and other tips on her website's FAQ page.] It’s hard and there is a lot to consider, but you get a much better understanding of how it works, what fin shapes create power, and how to create a tail that is original and unique. It does bother me that there are so many people just copying a design that someone else created rather than letting their own creative juices flow! Your tail is your signature! Make it unique! As far as getting started as a professional mermaid model, I suggest that you do modeling first so that you understand how to work with cameras, angles and looks. You can also learn to perform by appearing at kids’ parties for free to get started. Talk to dive ships about people who are doing underwater photography to see if they would take your photo to start a portfolio. Get involved in ocean preservation projects to help conserve the mermaids’ home!

Next week: Weeki Wachee!

About these ads

86 Responses to “Professional Mermaid Hannah Fraser”

1. Del February 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM #

I enjoyed reading Hannah’s interview and watching the 20/20 report on her aqua-life. Water truly is where love and life began…

2. Theo February 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM #

How did the dolphins react to you?

3. Julie Komenda February 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM #

Like Stan Lee said, “Superhuman!”

4. Sammi February 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM #

Wow, she AND this blog are AMAZING! ♥

• Shania Turner April 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM #

I know right

5. Leslie May 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM #

Do u think its weried to want to a mermaid!?

• Ariel April 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM #

I always wanted to be a mermaid!!!

6. katherine May 8, 2011 at 7:26 PM #

for my hole live i wanted to be a mermaid and you should see me with the beautiful tail i love siming with the dolphins thare so intelagent anaimals like on earth. the sharks are so nice. oh and i am a mermaid.

• kia August 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM #

are you for real please tell me if sooooo.

• Madison Lyndsae Kauffman March 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM #

Cool, I wanted to be a mermaid since I was 2 year old

7. donna marie hamilton April 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM #

I love marmaids I grew up lookin a splish as well and been in love with marmaids since then ill love to meet u and share this moment with u , I love them and beleave in them ,

8. Shania Turner April 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM #

I love you Hannah!! You are the best person ever!(next to my mom.lol!)

9. Sadie May 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM #

I wish I were a mermaid!!!

10. Reagan June 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM #

Hi, my name is Reagan. I have always dreamed of being a real mermaid.
    I have tried all kinds of spells and potions. So far none of them have worked.
    You have inspired me so much. And I still want to be a mermaid. But
    Since I probably can’t I want to see how much professonial tails cost.
    QUESTION:
    Are you a real mermaid?
    If you are do your parents know?
    How do you breath under water for so long?
    Thank You!!!!

11. Alexis June 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM #

How did u become a mermaid because I want to be one

12. Abby July 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM #

Hi. I am 14 and a mermaid in the making. I made my first tail a couple years ago using old pants, duct-tape, coat hangers, and bungie cords. I am now currently working on my 3rd tail. It is a latex tail. And yes it is a lit of work. I am also a model. If this tail turns into a sucsess than it will be appearing on St.Simons island next week to save the poaching and catching of sea turtles. Hannah you are my inspiration I would never been able to do this without knowing you did it too. Thank you!

• oceanstar September 14, 2012 at 7:48 AM #

omg,serious?i am also a mermaid but a beginner one.i am 15 and had my first tail when i was 6 using a bunch of old swimsuits,a sweing machine,plastic boards and a bit of mom’s help.now i am makeing my latex tail also but not many know this about me.how did u get so popular?how can i become a mermaid like ,well,u (and hannah ).please tell me.

13. Anca July 31, 2012 at 8:41 AM #

How do you go so deep inn the water without your ears hurting ?

14. hannah mermaid February 28, 2013 at 7:00 AM #

My name is Hannah too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sephie April 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM #

i have always wanted to be a mermaid

15. sephie April 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM #

where did you get tail?

16. Theo May 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM #

Hodgson said: ‘It’s definitely mind video game rating system.
    V A 3: Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance, Ice Age Village and Oregon Trail: American Settler will be available within Rovio’s Angry Birds video game rating system. Zimmermann, who was triumphant in the 56kg weightlifting category, said: My medal is due to the original BioShock let’s forget the drab second installment for now, Microsoft’s priorities are elsewhere.

17. madison mcclain May 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM #

Can someone ask her where she gets her tail I want 1

18. Bryant June 5, 2013 at 2:54 AM #

I hardly leave a response, however i did some searching and wound
    up here Professional Mermaid Hannah Fraser | I am a mermaid.
    And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if
    it’s allright. Is it just me or does it seem like some of these comments appear like they are written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on other sites, I would like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Would you list of every one of all your social pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

19. Maddie June 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM #

I am trying to be a mermaid. How did you do it? I try so hard and would do anything to be a mermaid. Did you do it at night?!

• Maddie March 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM #

My name is maddie too! I have the same dream as you! I’m wondering who they did it! Lets find out!

20. Chad June 25, 2013 at 1:31 AM #

Pirates of The Caribbean Battle Pack (Jack Sparrow, Theodore Grove, Scrum, Zombie Pirates):
    While this isn’t considered a typical building set, it is something that Pirates of The Caribbean lovers will want to get. 1: The game is similar with the TT Games’ Lego series,
    so when you meet problems, you can refer how the solutions
    work in those games. Currently, the organization is planning to re-launch its project soon.

21. Photocrati Theme Blog October 2, 2013 at 7:10 AM #

Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post.
    Thanks for supplying this info.

22. Highster October 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM #

Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Spending some
    time and actual effort to make a great article…
    but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never
    manage to get nearly anything done.

23. http://www.youtube.com/ October 17, 2013 at 5:36 AM #

Monitoring portion sizes Losing weight does not automatically mean forgetting all your favorite foods from enchiladas to ice cream.
    There are two components to losing weight, natural las pastillas para adelgazar funcionan is something that does not cause depression, limits the body’s ability to convert it to work as energy.

24. Hermes Kelly October 19, 2013 at 4:32 AM #

repeating action, and generates consistency and accuracy..The particular location even offers quite heavy market place a result of the existence of Nationalized Winter Strength Institution Potential Vegetable, Native american Essential oil Company and even State Fertilizers Herb.As other digital manufacturers entered the market, other marketing strategies and pricing approaches were implemented to keep the original watches competitive.Witnessing the aerodynamic improvements and incredible achievements that Emirates Team New Zealand has made over the last few weeks has been inspiring to all of us. At the same time, they dutifully implement the rules and regulations of the camp and see to it that the camp is wellordered and disciplined.As environmental and humanitarian issues become more and more prevalent in the media, I would like to see people taking a stand.In weerwil van haar geschiedenis, ik aanbid de show up en stijl. China’s overall retail sales rose 15% in the first half of this year, and that growth was driven in large part by women under the age of 35, buoyed by China’s $586 billion stimulus package and a stock market.

25. Tamera Barnaby December 9, 2013 at 3:34 AM #

beautiful! love your site!

26. packing tips rick steves December 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM #

We photograph the passenger experience, which is very different
    from how a photographer might photograph an editorial
    assignment. After struggling through the sentence, she responded in
    English exactly how to get to the Eiffel Tower. Check the news and
    keep up to date about what is going on around the world, especially in the location where you are
    planning to travel to.

27. Resistance training includes using resistance tubes and
    resistance running to name a few. The articulation of each vertebrae helps the spine to become
    stronger instead of being stiff and tight. Each team is given five minutes from the start to tie the laces and make as many X.

28. http://oldinformation917.soulcast.com/ January 9, 2014 at 10:12 PM #

My brother suggested I might like this website.
    He was entirely right. This post truly made my day.
    You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!

29. bestdigitalslrcamerasreviews2014.com January 28, 2014 at 7:18 PM #

Hi. Just desired to say simply how much I appreciate the information that is shared here.

30. water damage restoration los angeles ca January 31, 2014 at 4:46 AM #

” Store garbage in the proper location and discard properly. Much like smoke damages, this type of issue can be expensive to fix, and most of the time can not be dealt with without replacing exactly what has actually received the damage. It goes without saying that the best method to deal with water in your Mac – Book keyboard is to not spill anything.

31. most popular vacuum cleaners in 2014 February 2, 2014 at 12:46 AM #

This issue was discussed in several other places and we never reached any conclusions.
    We are able to discuss it until tommorow. Anyway, it is a proper point of view.

32. певица елка February 2, 2014 at 6:42 AM #

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you so much, However I am experiencing issues
    with your RSS. I don’t know why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anybody else getting similar RSS
    issues? Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!

33. anchor February 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM #

Sushi is one of the doctors who examined Arafat in hiis Ramallah compound, thrn shyttled to Paris,
    just say BONJOUR and smile! Mikado Sushi best sushi in orlando florida is a wonderful food
    style. Reduce heat to medium-low and sear until golden brown.

There are four D’s that identify Maine best sushi in orlando florida scallops in all of his gadgets.

34. fullhd February 12, 2014 at 12:28 AM #

Everything is very open with a precise clarification of the challenges.

It was truly informative. Your website is very useful.

Thanks for sharing!

35. ppc services February 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM #

Search ‘public domain articles’ and you will find many sites to
    choose from. Here’s the bottom line – digital marketing is the way to go.
    Article Source: to understand more about Online business.

36. sports quotes March 6, 2014 at 6:58 AM #

I think the admin of this web page is in fact working hard for his web page, since
    here every data is quality based information.

37. Lonna March 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM #

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.

38. Get the facts March 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM #

I have read so many articles about the blogger lovers except this article is in fact a fastidious post, keep it up.

39. video marketing softwares March 8, 2014 at 1:09 AM #

Hi there, after reading this remarkable paragraph i am too
    delighted to share my knowledge here with friends.

40. Ambassador Services LLC March 14, 2014 at 1:43 PM #

This means there are no hidden costs involved. Over the llast few years, the
    cleaning tools are designed to flush out dirt and soil in the carpet
    cleaning services. The particular vacuum cleaning services singapore devices and other products arre taken maximum care on an
    overall. Some people try to take pride in the finished product, meaning the clients’ homes are not being deceived by hoaxes.

41. They take proper care oof your hoe very nicely and efficiently.
    You caan certainly enjoy a nice looking carpet without buyiing
    new ones. They don’t need to wory about a moth
    eatkng the lace of that wedding cleaning services in brooklyn dress
    or it dry rotting into threads. They will also bring to your notice any damage
    or discoloration on the cleaning services in brooklyn leather.
    You can take possession your home cleaned by maids and specialists are
    two different things. So the best measure cleaning services in
    brooklyn would be to your carpet cleaning services.

42. Maddie March 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM #

I want to be a mermaid so bad. I’m making my own tail today! I’m going to test it out at a local swimming lake in Florida. I’m only 9. I do have a special power(s) heat wind and a little bit of water bending, my almost-mer-friend says. I’m soooo exited. Hannah is a amazing woman!

43. Eulalia March 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM #

Carpets, rugs, cloth-covered walls and mats are used for major problem.
    However, the task of cleaning cleaning services gilbert az up the place.
    Occasional personal touches begin when the same women have arrived
    for a few years already. Large industrial paces or apartment buildings require a professional cleaning
    service is very important for developing newer clientele annd partners.

44. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this
    website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz respond as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from.
    cheers

45. thank you quotes March 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM #

I’m not sure exactly why but this blog is loading incredibly slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my
    end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

46. Odette March 24, 2014 at 6:01 AM #

Just want to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in
    your post is just great and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep
    up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry
    on the rewarding work.

47. telecharger photofiltre March 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM #

Hi there, I want to subscribe for this blog to get latest
    updates, so where can i do it please help.

48. surgical wart removal March 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM #

Sales receipt AB499, that’s past inside of California, is going to be in regards to the Governor’s work, as well as can potentially appear into it proper April Seven.

This excellent bill permits children outdated 12 years and further along in years to buy
    prevention providers to obtain STDs without using parent recognize.
    3 shots tummy flatness, although it is in the acumen for
    these anticipation agencies, might be accredited will have to folks dealing with Warts, the industry infection may possibly play
    a role in cervical cancer cells. Shed the potential for Human immunodeficiency virus problem appropriate advertising mileage, Hepatitis vaccines but pills can even be proposed.

49. http://quicklink.bz/3911 March 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM #

For price factor, you can check out the purchase price packages with the
    services provided by photographers online or you can ask from local
    sources regarding the charges from the photographers.
    The images using this special day really should
    not be trusted to someone performing it for ‘extra money’ or being a favor to
    you. Scout wedding ceremony location, whether it is really a church or garden
    or some other setting and get a sense of the lighting and greatest positions for shooting.

50. Shirleen April 1, 2014 at 2:30 PM #

Overall, Business Link seems very consumer friendly,
    with added information about Services not just products being covered inside
    act, and giving the consumer information on what direction to go in a very situation and what should be covered by the retailer in terms to some product going
    wrong. The etiquette of business is the group of written
    and unwritten rules of conduct that make social interactions run more smoothly.
    * Involving inside the growth process and changes that’s perpetual and self-initiated.

51. サマンサタバサデラックス April 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM #

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is
    added I get four e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Cheers!

52. BrettRossi April 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM #

Wow, this article is fastidious, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds
    of things, so I am going to inform her.

53. brett rossi pics April 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM #

Hello to every body, it’s my first pay a visit of this webpage; this blog contains
    remarkable and genuinely excellent stuff in support of readers.

54. google ads plus advertising April 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM #

I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article
    like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me.
    In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet
    will be much more useful than ever before.

55. Jewell April 12, 2014 at 12:15 AM #

But in the last few years, IPTV has dwarfed the grade
    of DVD and Cable TV. Virus Barrier X5 can be a popular virus scanner designed for Mac computers.
    The Vi – O comes pre set with the most widely used mobile phones, such as Blackberry, i – Pod, i – Phone amongst others.

56. Vilma April 13, 2014 at 9:00 PM #

I’m not sure exactly why but this blog is loading incredibly slow for me.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on
    myy end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still
    exists.

57. home security topics April 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM #

you are really a good webmaster. The site
    loading pace is incredible. It sort of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick.
    Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you’ve done a great process in this matter!

58. adjustable dumbbell set April 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM #

Excellent blog here! Also your website loads up very
    fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate
    link to your host? I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

59. telecharger teamviewer April 21, 2014 at 6:04 AM #

It’s actually very complicated in this full of activity life to listen news on TV, so I only use internet for that reason, and take the hottest information.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Mertailor Eric Ducharme and his Wondrous Tails « I am a mermaid - February 21, 2011

[...] you want a realistic and gorgeous-looking mermaid tail and are far too lazy to make your own a la Hannah Mermaid, you might want to get one of his. I first read about him, by the way, because he made Cynthia von [...]

2. Raina the Halifax Mermaid « I am a mermaid - April 7, 2011

[...] Like many young women I was inspired by Hannah Fraser [read this blog's interview with Hannah here]. I sort of always knew I wanted to make something like this happen but not until the internet [...]

3. Jerilyn Winstead’s AquaTails « I am a mermaid - April 12, 2011

[...] discovered mermaids on YouTube, including Hannah Mermaid [read this blog's interview with Hannah here!]. They showed it to me, and I told them about my old dream. They got very excited and encouraged [...]

4. Alex the Great, the Housewife Houdini « I am a mermaid - May 3, 2011

[...] if you read this blog as I’ve already put up interviews with featured performers like Hannah Fraser, MeduSirena, and Traci Hines. Plus yours truly will be there, along with fellow mermaid authors [...]

5. Mer Iona and the MerNetwork « I am a mermaid - August 1, 2011

[...] and coming out of the waves, if you will. Each one I find inspires me in a different way. Hannah Fraser for her fearlessness, determination, and passion for the environment; Medusirena for her [...]

6. Amazing Pre-MerCon Event in Las Vegas « I am a mermaid - August 3, 2011

[...] admire this glorious press release, and then come see me, my fellow mermaid authors, Hannah Fraser, and several other gorgeous guests at the Vegas Barnes and Noble, next Thursday [...]

7. Jessica Fleitman’s Average-Sized Mermaid « I am a mermaid - August 16, 2011

[...] mention from last Thursday’s Mermaid Ball at Barnes & Noble, where, amongst other things, Hannah Fraser read a piece by yours truly to a mesmerized crowd… but in the meantime I must generously [...]

8. Karen Kay’s Mermaids & Mythology « I am a mermaid - February 2, 2012

[...] shoots, and interviews with active mermaids. We have regular contributors and columnists including Hannah Fraser, Melissa Mermaid, Doreen Virtue and Mermaid Shelly, and we also publish photos of unknown mermaids [...]

9. Melbourne’s Mermaid Arcadia « I am a mermaid - April 12, 2012

[...] I stumbled across videos on Youtube of mermaids swimming with amazing tails like Mermaid Raven and Hannah Mermaid which inspired me to look into tails, monofins and other expensive items a teenager can’t [...]

10. Melbourne’s Mermaid Aradia « I am a mermaid - April 12, 2012

11. Merman/Mertender Chris LaPointe « I am a mermaid - May 1, 2012

[...] for that. Before then, who knew people thought about such things? That, along with the emergence of Hannah Fraser, taught us all it was perfectly okay to live your dreams and have fun. People could now see how [...]

12. Mermaid Kae-Leah Williamson « I am a mermaid - May 11, 2012

[...] myself. I also was very inspired by the passion some mermaids like Raina the Halifax Mermaid and Hannah Fraser have for environmental activism, and wanted to also use a mermaid identity as a tool to advocate [...]

13. Mermaid Katrin Felton « I am a mermaid - August 21, 2012

[...] for 20 seconds in a swimming pool is not my way of being a mermaid. But it was really nice to meet Hannah Fraser in person. She was the first mermaid I heard of and therefore was my inspiration during my first [...]

14. Tera Lynn Childs’s Just for Fins « I am a mermaid - August 31, 2012

[...] truly, including one at the Vegas Barnes & Noble featuring not only our literary efforts but Hannah Fraser and Kylee Troche being carried out of the bathroom in tails by studly young bookstore employees and [...]

15. Hannah Fraser, Ivan Landau, and Sigur Ros « I am a mermaid - September 14, 2012

[...] filmmaker Ivan Landau’s entry in said contest stars none other than mermaid extraordinaire Hannah Fraser, both above and below the water. The video itself and the images that have emerged from it are just [...]

16. Sora Dancing Mermaid « I am a mermaid - November 21, 2012

[...] even really remember how I discovered it all, but it definitely is credited to the great Hannah Fraser and a bad day spent on [...]

17. Mermaid Artiste Tammy Derwick, Part 2 « I am a mermaid - November 23, 2012

[...] do you think of modern-day mermaids like those at Weeki Wachee, or Hannah Fraser and Linden Wolbert? I think they are inspiring and brave. I attempt to imagine how their family and [...]

18. Mermaid Marla’s Fountain of Youth | I am a mermaid - March 19, 2013

[...] held in Las Vegas in 2011. I was very excited to have met the most famous mermaid of our community, Hannah Fraser, whom I just adore. There are several connections I made while there that have turned into great [...]

19. Aspiring Mermaid Ashley | I am a mermaid - April 21, 2013

[...] any professional mermaids out there inspire you? I am definitely inspired by Hannah Fraser. She was the first mermaid I heard of outside of Weeki Wachee and she still amazes me. I also love [...]

20. Newsworthy mermaids, MerPalooza, plus my new book | I am a mermaid - August 7, 2013

[…] roundtable on The Little Mermaid. At The Huffington Post, Brenda Peterson posted an interview with Hannah Fraser. And I wrote an article on mermaids for The New Inquiry that then inspired this article on the The […]